Saturday, November 12, 2005

Off-Limits

I had to get out of the city for a change so I drove down to the Calvert Cliffs State Park on Maryland's Chesapeake Bay. The name and description sounded grand. I pictured standing on top of the 100-ft cliffs gazing out at the blue waters of the vast bay. I also imagined solitude - something I crave after being in the city for weeks on end.

What I found was less than I had hoped for. The cliffs were off-limits, the water looked like lake water, and there were too many people there - even on a cool day. Near the end of the 2-mile trail the park posted a sign warning visitors to wear bright orange because hunting season was in progress. Good thing I was wearing deer-brown clothing I thought to myself. I evaded the hunters and arrived at the beach where I found "off-limits" signs on both sides of the small beach. Visitors couldn't even get close to the cliffs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home