Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Huangpu

I enjoyed a walk by the Huangpu River in downtown Shanghai this afternoon. The weather was warm enough for a change - a light jacket was enough. I took a crowded subway from Puxi (west of Huangpu) under the river to Pudong (east of Huangpu) and crossed the world's longest pedestrian crossing to the Super Brand Shopping Mall where I had a pizza with a friend. After lunch I strolled along the river and enjoyed the afternoon view of the old Bund across the river.

One of the things I find odd about Shanghai and China in general, is the way I see most people treating handicapped people. They aren't treated very well at all. In the shopping mall elevator today I watched from the rear of a crowded elevator while four men pushed their way in front of a old woman in a wheelchair to get on the elevator. After they got on there wasn't enough room for her to get on. There wasn't a look of anger on her face but rather a look of resignation. What's the use of being angry all the time over the way you are treated? I was sickened by this and when I exited the elevator at the next floor I suddenly and uncontrollably found myself shoving one of the men aside and shooting him a look. I'm sure he had no idea why I was angry.

I say it's odd the way handicapped people are often treated here because most people here are extremely friendly and very nice. So I don't understand this anomaly of behavior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home