Sunday, October 01, 2006

Howling Machines

No longer excited by Shanghai's taxi drivers G-man and I opted for Formula 1 this weekend. I haven't been to a car race since I went to a Peavine stockcar race when I was a pre-teen so I was clueless as to what "F1" was about. I went simply because it was something new.

Yesterday was "the qualifying" so when we sat down and saw a sporty-looking car racing around the track I assumed its driver was giving it all he had in the hopes of qualifying for the big race on Sunday. In an effort to show G-man how much I knew I asked the Polish fellow next to me if this was "Schumacher" or not. "No, that's just the guy that looks for debris on the track", he said pityingly.

A few moments later the F1 cars came roaring by at 200 mph and we were in shock. The noise and vibration was tremendous. Our ears were in pain. Note to self, take earplugs to an F1 race. Without them we were only able to take a few minutes of this before we left for the day - but not before buying some earplugs for Sunday.

Today, we were better prepared with earplugs, monocular, snacks and mentally prepared for the thunder. It was great. I finally figured out that Schumacher (sp?) was that little helmet barely protruding from a howling machine with Marlboro painted all over it. He won by the way. I doubt if he'd stand a chance though on the streets of Shanghai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home