Monday, November 20, 2006

Cold Drinks Anytime

Tom Friedman has come and gone. The rainy season has started. I've started wearing a jacket on some days. Fall is here to stay for awhile. I can't believe Thanksgiving is this week.

The Shanghainese start wearing coats earlier than anyone I've seen - and bigger coats at that. I'll be comfortable in my shirtsleeves and people all around me are wearing heavy coats. I'm not sure why the Shanghainese are so paleng, or fearful of the cold. Maybe it's for the same reason that my Chinese teacher gets bent all out of shape when I drink a cold drink in front of her. "It's not good for your health to drink cold drinks," she says as she sips her hot tea. I've always drunk cold drinks I say. "The colder the better!"

2 Comments:

Blogger calisooner said...

Chinese are funny that way. No one at my house except for me would think of drinking a cold drink.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the same in Europe, I found that I was craving a drink with ice, everything is luke warm. I think that an icemaker salesman would have some trouble there.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home