Saturday, February 17, 2007

Happy Year of the Pig

This is my second Chinese New Year celebration in Shanghai. It's just like last year's with the exception that it's the year of the pig this go round. I reprint my reaction last year:

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Year of the DogAs I write this the city is under siege. The windows are shuddering with the reverberations of explosions from all directions. The sky is alight even though it is 11 pm on a Saturday night. The Year of the Dog has arrived and I'm experiencing Chinese New Year in China. The fireworks started almost six hours ago and haven't let up. I'm told it will last until 3 am.I've seen more elaborate firework displays but under controlled conditions. This is total chaos. Everyone is throwing little bombs around and shooting fireworks over rooftops. Every neighborhood has its own fireworks display. Even the little compound I live in had a fireworks display - not 50 feet away from my balcony. The workers carried several large cardboard boxes - fireworks displays-in-a-box out and set them alight. The boxes were self-contained and sequenced displays that lasted 10-minutes each. No need for lighting each rocket. One of the kits was lit upside down by error and shot rockets against the side of the neighbors house until one brave worker righted it.The Chinese TV networks are featuring variety show extravaganzas tonight. The Rod Stewart exploding hair fashion is definitely in here. Rap is in. So is singing one line of your song in English. One good group I listened to looked like The Cure.Well, gotta go, in celebration of the Year o' the Dog the Cartoon Channel (Asia) is showing all the Courage the Cowardly Dog episodes back-to-back. I can't wait until the Year of Cow & Chicken.

1 Comments:

Blogger calisooner said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home