Wednesday, July 18, 2007


Living the Looney Tunes

Shanghai is full of hazards, clotheslines hung across sidewalks at neck level, taxi drivers that think pedestrians are traffic cones, bottomless pits in sidewalks - but I never thought I'd fall victim to Wile E. Coyote in China. The comically ineffectual predator must have been lurking around the corner when I walked briskly by today on my way to lunch on Beijing Lu and planted my foot firmly on a large banana peel. I zoomed down the sidewalk, limbs flailing wildly as I tried to keep my balance. When I realized I'd slipped on a banana peel I had to laugh at the cartoonish absurdity of it. I've managed several decades without slipping on a banana peel. But you can't count out anything in Shanghai. Will anvils fall out of the sky next? Beep beep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home