Thursday, February 21, 2008

Recycling is not always good

No matter what country I'm in I know that one can never be sure about the sanitary conditions in the kitchens of restaurants. I try not to think about it but occassionaly a nasty thought arises. These nasty thoughts are often based on experience. When I was working my way through college as a waiter in a seafood restaurant I noticed the cook spitting into the fry grease. When I asked him what he was doing he explained to me that that was the way he tested the temperature of the oil. One time, when I was writing an article on restaurants in Malaysia I was taken on a tour of the kitchen by a proud proprietor that thought nothing of the sight of bags of flour on the floor that were infested with cockroaches. I could go on...but I won't.

Today I had lunch at a South Asian restaurant in Shanghai with some of my friends. When it came time for the waiter to remove the many half-eaten dishes from our table we noticed that he very carefully placed the dishes on the tray in such a way as to make sure none of the contents mixed with any other dishes. Why was he being so careful we thought? Could they be re-using the leftovers?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you tell us about the grease!

I think that anyone that leaves food on their plate should give it a good stir before they leave. I didn't see many Chinese leaving food on their plates so maybe there won't be too much of it.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home