Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jimmy Carter

You meet some people in Shanghai that you wouldn't normally expect to meet here. In this case I did not get the privilege to meet former President Jimmy Carter but S did. I was off in Chongqing when the President was in town but S got to meet him and shake his hand and talk to the former First Lady. Tonight, I understand President Carter is back in Washington to participate in the inauguration of Barack Obama.

I clearly remember the day Jimmy Carter went through his inauguration and walked the parade route rather than ride in the Presidential limousine. I was a day away from my entry into military service. It was during Carter's administration that the U.S. and the PRC re-established diplomatic relations. Carter was in China to participate in events celebrating the 30th anniversary of U.S. - PRC diplomatic relations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home