Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Great Escalator

I live near what must be one of the world's longest escalators, the Great Escalator of the Rosslyn Metro. The enormity of this steel monolith and the gaping hole leading down into the Earth attracts tourists from far and wide. On many mornings one can witness groups of denim clad Future Farmers of America from places like Texas and Missouri riding up and down the Great Escalator. They never actually get on the subway. It's the escalator they come for.

For the more jaded, the escalator is just a way to get to the Metro. To me, it has a larger role - it reveals the true nature of the people who ride it. There are at least four types of people in the world and the way they use the escalator reveals their type. There are those who ride the escalator all the way down without moving off their step (the Prudents) and then there are those who walk or trot down the escalator (the Harried). On the way up, a third type walks all the way up (the Young). A fourth group rides all the way up (the Wise). The types can be mixed of course. I, for example, am of the Harried Wise sort since I walk down and ride all the way up.

I'm sure this has deeper implications but I'll need more time.

Note for Nathan: check this out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what type this makes me, but I rode down until the last few feet and then I walked. I guess that makes me an impatient prudent.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home