Saturday, September 17, 2005

No reasonable Expectation of Privacy

I have a new hobby. Spotting the many cameras hidden on the streets and public byways in the metro area. These are called closed circuit TV cameras or surveillance cameras. I became aware of them a couple of weeks ago when I overheard a museum security guard scaring a kid with them. "See that camera over there? We've got your picture now. Don't give me any trouble!" Sure enough, there was a camera hidden in a lamppost-like contraption in the Sculpture Garden. Then I began to look - they were all over the place! In the National Sculpture Garden alone I counted eight of them. You'd never notice them if you weren't looking for them.

Around the Capitol the cameras are hidden in antique-looking lampposts. There are cameras in posts all around the Federal Triangle and the FBI building must have 20 or so around it. The city police have their system of cameras, as does the National Park Police. DC is full of cameras. Everywhere you go in DC someone is watching you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home