Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Long Walk

Another good weather day in Shanghai so I took the 925 bus to People's Park, had lunch at Taco Bueno, walked the length of the Nanjing Road pedestrian Mall to the Bund, went south along the Huangpu River to Yuyuan Gardens and then hopped the 911 bus back home. A six hour trip. Along the way I visited a bookstore, a vegetarian dumpling shop, and sat and watched people go by on the Bund.

I also declined the offers of about 60-80 people trying to sell things or make money someway. Some of them can be incredibly aggressive - one fellow trying to sell me an electric razor actually tried to apply the buzzing razor to my face as I walked along. One of the most bothersome come-ons are the young women that approach tourists or foreigners walking along the Nanjing Pedestrian Mall. They try to chat you up and then invite you to have tea with them. I'd read about this gimmick before I got to Shanghai - they take you to a "tea shop" in a nearby building that exist only to charge an outrageous price to suckered tourists. Tuffs make the duped tourists pay up before they'll let them out of the "tea shop". You have to be careful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home