Tuesday, December 05, 2006

From A New Angle

Just back from Hong Kong and back to work. Have you ever had that experience of seeing something from a new light, a different angle, that completely changed the way you saw something or someone? Have you ever known a grumpy and unpleasant person that unexpectedly did something real nice for someone and allowed you to see that they weren't so bad after all? That's kind of the way I feel about Hong Kong after approaching it from Shanghai.

I've always liked Hong Kong for it's scenery and exotic contrast to my world - Peavine. I used to think of Hong Kong however as one of the most chaotic and rude places on Earth. That was before I came to live in Shanghai. Approaching Hong Kong from Shanghai one can appreciate Hong Kong's relative order and civilization. I never thought I'd say that.

I couldn't believe my eyes when cars, all cars, stopped at red lights or when they politely declined to plow through throngs of pedestrians in crosswalks. I was equally shocked to see most people actually letting subway passengers alight before rushing through the door. I didn't see anyone spitting or shooting snot out their noses on the sidewalk as if it was an Olympic sport either. What a nice break from Shanghai.

Gman and I ate most of our meals at the Pret a Manger sandwich and wrap shop because a simple sandwich is something you don't come by easily in Shanghai either. Eating raw vegetables in Shanghai is still risky business so I gorged on spinich and avacado wraps. We did try to eat at regular restaurants but we never could get in. Hong Kong people eat out a lot and lines at restaurants are the norm it seems. I don't do lines.

I also loved to see the free expression of thought in Hong Kong. To my surprise and relief I saw a number of anti-Communist and anti-Beijing protests. I even got a chance to participate in one protest. We came across a large demonstration of people against the current draconian slaughter of pet dogs going on in Beijing and other areas of mainland China. We joined right in!

The best thing about Hong Kong however is the Star Ferry across Victoria Harbor. I love riding back and forth on those old boats and smelling the sea.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the clean air.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the plastic bags.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home