Monday, April 30, 2007

Golden Weeks

One of the best things about working in China are the three week-long holidays this country celebrates. The second "Golden Week" of 2007 begins tomorrow, May 1st. As with the Chinese Lunar Holiday earlier this year, we get the next three days off. I plan to relax, wander around Shanghai a bit, study Chinese, and get centered. Everyone else in China plans to get on trains, planes and automobiles and drive each other mad. I'm opting out.

So many people in China live and work away from their families and hometowns that they have to use these long holidays to travel to see family. The descriptions of the mayhem at the train stations that I read in the newspapers is enough to keep me away. There's talk of the government changing the holidays to allow people to take them at different times so not everyone is trying to travel at the same time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't want to be in Beijing for the Olympics, there is no way they are going to pull that one off. I don't care how much they pay people to smile, the confusion and crowds will be unbearable.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home