Friday, October 12, 2007

China's Great Firewall Growing

I haven't been able to post to this blog for about a week because my access was blocked by the Great Firewall. Normally, I can post to this blog but I cannot view it without using a proxy to get around the censors. But for several days this week I couldn't even access the input page.

China has also begun to choke off access to RSS feeds which enable computer users to get news updates and to download podcasts which are delivered through RSS feeds. Nearly half of the 120 podcasts I subscribe to are now inaccessible. This is quite disturbing for a news junkie like myself. The last straw will be when they cut off my access to Prarie Home Companion.

Censorship is such a part of daily life in China that the citizens and the expats that work in China grow used to it and complacent. People stop complaining because they know that short of rioting in the streets (and getting locked up) there's nothing they can do about it. But we shouldn't forget about how outrageous it is for a government to block its citizen's access to information. It's pathetic when a government is so insecure that it feels it must hide the truth from its own people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home