Thursday, March 18, 2010

The World's longest cave

We are at Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky today for a short spring break trip. This afternoon we took a 2-hour tour of the historic parts of the world's longest cave system and tomorrow we will take a 2-hour tour of the other end of the cave. This is my third visit to Mammoth Cave but only my second visit to the actual cave. The first time I was here (circa 10 years old) we were behind schedule and my grandfather insisted on leaving without going down into the cave. I did make it back when I was 18 however and I remember the self-guided tour and the cafeteria 300-ft below the surface.

Now, because of people who carved their names in the cave walls, the tours must be guided by Park Rangers. And because of Homeland "Security" rules no bags or purses are allowed on the tours. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Mammoth Cave is high on the terrorists list of places to attack.

Tonight we are staying at the Mammoth Cave Hotel on top of the cave. This time, I'm taking my sweet time here. No schedule.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandad must have always been "behind schedule". Have a great time,we will try to hold down the fort here in Peavine.

8:48 PM  
Blogger calisooner said...

Great Grandad sounds like Chevry Chase at the Grand Canyon.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home