Tuesday, October 05, 2010

A Computer that also Cooks Rice

Got a new rice cooker today that rivals my iMac in computing power. It's been several years since I bought a rice cooker so I didn't realize how far along they have come recently. A few years ago "fuzzy" appliances were the rage but I opted for manual at the time. Now I've leap-frogged the fuzzy phase and gone straight into the age of "induction heating" or "IH" for short. IH allows you to cook "GABBA" brown rice that supposedly unlocks gamma butilosteoporosusbetelnutium amino acids in the rice. Sounds like I need to wear a lead apron while in the same room with it.

We checked out the selection of space age rice cookers in Akihabara a few weeks ago and got a feel for the new high tech machines. I was shocked by the prices though. "$500 for a rice cooker?!", I gasped. The last one I bought cost $10. But, as with most Japanese made electronics, I knew I could get the exact same Made-in-Japan item from the US for half the price. Japanese consumers get ripped off by their manufacturers. So I ordered from the US.

The thing came in the mail today and the spaceship-like titanium device looks ready to hover in mid air, help G-man with his calculus, and maybe even prepare rice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home