Friday, October 01, 2010

Kamakura

30 miles outside of Tokyo - on the Pacific Ocean - lies Kamakura, the capital of Japan during the appropriately named Kamakura period. I've been there several times before but it must have been over 10 years since my last visit. So today I hopped the train south through Yokohama for the hour-long ride to Kamakura.

When I arrived the cloudy sky had brightened up a bit and the sun even shown through in spots. So I continued on from Kamakura station on the local two-car train to Hase where I got off and walked the kilometer to Daibutsu, the Great Buddha - or the Great Budda as one sign proclaimed. I spent three hours just watching the scene, the people and the huge bronze statue that has been in the open air since a tsunami tore away the temple that used to surround it 500 years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home