Saturday, February 05, 2011

Getting in the way of the Paparazzi

Celebrity is such an odd phenomenon. Is it sheer popularity that drives us to call movie stars, musicians, and politicians celebrities? I think so. But that popularity, or notoriety in some cases, doesn't often cross cultural boundaries. Japan's most popular movie star can be in Neiman-Marcus in Dallas and no one, unless they are a Japanese tourist, will take note.

This was brought home to me last week when I was attending a dinner at Tokyo Big Sight. I was seated at a table with seven strangers - all foreigners except for one elderly Japanese artist. We had been assigned our seats by the event organizer - a jewelry association. The other guests at my table were all friendly and interesting people; businessmen, diplomats, and artists. There was a young Japanese lady that joined our table a few minutes late and everyone greeted her politely. We were just asking her what she did when a torrent of press photographers and young people descended on our table - all focused on the young lady. She started posing and bowing demurely as cameras were shoved past my face and motor drives whirred and flashes blinded us all. She started signing autographs.

Seems the young lady is a member of Japan's AKB48, the most popular pop group in the country. I guess it's like having Justin Bieber at your table and not knowing it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would know Justin Bieber only because of all the jokes about him.

1:38 PM  
Blogger calisooner said...

I ahve a niece who is big on Japanese Pop groups. Get an autograph next time.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home