Friday, March 11, 2011

Redecorated

When I got home I found the 8th floor apartment in a mess. Everything had been rearranged. The dishes and glasses had fallen out of the kitchen shelves and broken in the floor, mixing with food and oil that had fallen from the shelving. Dresser drawers were overturned, lamps, TVs, books and shelves were in the floor. The force of the quake was evident everywhere.

Family members were far away from home when the quake hit and it took them 7+ hours to get home. My son spent 7 or 8 hours on a school bus. All of the main thoroughfares were packed with people hoofing it home - sometimes for many hours. The trains and subways were stopped and taxis were nearly impossible to catch. I was lucky because my apartment is only 10 minutes from my office. But everyone who survived is lucky because hundreds lost their lives. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones or can't find them. There is no pain greater than that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK GOD FOR FACEBOOK SO YOU KNEW THAT GREY WAS OK EVEN THOUGH IT TOOK HIM 8 HOURS TO GET HOME.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sure that you don't have heavy objects stored up high where they could fall on you. I would think it would be safer to buy things in plastic bottles instead of glass if you can.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home