Monday, August 29, 2005

Skeletons in Common

My favorite place in DC to relax or study is the Sculpture Garden and I spent much of the weekend there. When I get tired of studying I pop into one of the nearby museums. On Saturday I went back to the Museum of Natural History for what must be my forty-eleventh visit. Each time however, I find something new or something I just passed over before. This time I wandered into the Hall o' Bones skeleton exhibit which I had overlooked previously. What struck me was the similarity of the skeletons of all sorts of creatures - including humans. Whether it be the skeleton of a monkey, a sea cow, or a fish the same basic parts are there. When you strip away the flesh the commonalities of all creatures becomes even more apparent.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the weather is a little cooler if you spent the weekend at the Sculpture Garden. It is cooler here now. We went to see Nathan's first game and it was in the 80's, not bad.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that all mammals have 7 vertebrae was interesting. I would have thought the giraffe had much more than humans.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Pintradex said...

if I live in DC i would be at the museum of natural history all the time. very interesting place.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home