Monday, September 19, 2005

This Explains a Lot

After being in DC for a few months I think I've figured out why we have some of the problems we do. Two things I've observed; 1) 9 out of 10 pedestrians cross at intersections against the light (when they aren't supposed to) and 2) the police do nothing about it. The lessons? As long as you can get away with it - it's OK. Laws don't apply to me. No wonder we have such a problem with our political system and governance in general. When it comes to socially disfunctional behavior too many people in the DC area don't get it.

The result of this behavior by pedestrians is that drivers in DC never know when someone is going to walk into the street. Granted, many of the drivers actually try to hit the pedestrians, but it makes driving in DC an awful experience for those of us who prefer not to run over people.

I've not seen a situation like this in any other American metro area. The lack of respect for traffic laws here exceeds anything I've seen in North America.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this was your problem in the crosswalks. The drivers weren't expecting you there.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home