Saturday, February 18, 2006

Shopaholic

When I opened the shades this morning I got a shock - snow covered the palm trees and grounds out my window.

I'm beginning to worry. I'm spending an inordinate amount of time shopping - or at least window shopping. I guess I'm just curious about what's for sale in this foreign land and where I can get it. All this research could come in handy though. You never know when you'll need Skippy Peanut Butter, clothes hangers or a Mister Donut - but I know where I can find those things and more.

I spent much of this Saturday walking around my neighborhood exploring stores. I discovered Trust-Mart, a supermarket about a 15-minute walk away. This is a very modern discount retail chain with everything from $30 bicycles to 10 cent dried tofu. The store makes a valiant effort at making expats feel welcome by posting English signs - but they really need to hire someone that can write English. I bought music from a shelf marked "top salad" (top sales?), potato chips from the "slised tuber" section and skipped the "powder meat" aisle altogether. On the way out of Trust-Mart I had to pass through a scanning device. They must be fans of Ronald Reagan - "trust but verify".

Speaking of tortured English (the Chinese call it Chinglish) I told you about the Homely Vegetarian Meat Balls I got at the organic market but I forgot to mention a frozen food item I did not buy - "Vegetarian Intestines". Yes, mock intestines for those vegetarians that just can't quite give up their taste for menudo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home