Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Big Print

Frustrated with trying to use the online Chinese dictionaries (the Internet is so bad here) I braved the crush at the giant bookstore downtown to buy an old-fashioned "hardcopy" dictionary. If Barnes and Noble have ever seen the bookstores here they must be salivating over this market. China is a country of readers. Young people jam the bookstores to the point one can hardly navigate through them. The bookstores are as high as 7 floors and what I want always seems to be on the top floor.

I also bought a magnifying glass because the publishers here assume everyone can read tiny print. I have yet to find a "big print" section at a Chinese bookstore. And when it comes to reading those tiny Chinese characters with dozens of little strokes in them - well my naked eyes can't handle it.

Before coming home I stopped at McDonalds and had a Coke, french fries and a pineapple pie. I hadn't had this sort of thing in several weeks so it was great - especially the pie. The stomach needs something familiar from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home