Monday, January 30, 2006

Busing to People's Plaza

We are in the middle of the Chinese New Year holiday. Most people are with family at this time so offices are closed but many retail shops have opened after being closed on Sunday for New Year's Day. The streets are relatively calm and traffic is light. The buses are running so I tried a new route today, bus #925 which took me to People's Plaza. The buses I've ridden so far have been clean and not too crowded. I know this is not the case during rush hours because I've seen the buses passing by at these hours with bits of humans squishing out of gaps in windows and doors. I don't plan on being part of that experience.

Once downtown I had lunch at the Taco Bell Grande which seems to be a sit-down version of Taco Bell. I had a guacamole quesadilla and a Pepsi for 50 yuan (about $6) before strolling over the the shopping street on Nanjing Road. I took one look at the mass of people and did a detour to the bookstores on Fuzhou Road. I tried to find a Chinese dictionary but all the Chinese-English dictionaries (and there are hundreds) I could find are designed for Chinese studying English.

On the way back home I stopped at a music shop and bought a CD by a young singer (Angela) that I would describe as the Chinese version of Bjork. I'm studying the lyrics but doubt I'll be able to use them at formal banquets?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home