Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Real America

The tension between rural and urban America has captured the headlines recently because it's been made into a political issue between the "real America" and the rest of America. Some of the candidates are trying to make this a wedge issue, a part of the culture wars that have divided America in recent years. It's called playing to the base.

I have a hard time understanding the division that politicians are playing to because I've had the good fortune to experience living in both rural and urban America. I've lived in some of the smallest towns you'll find and in some of the largest cities on Earth. I feel equally comfortable in both extremes and enjoy the different kinds of life that are available in each. If I had my choice I'd have a home in both. They're both real.

But I will admit that I have a preference for order. Chaos is picturesque as long as you don't have to live in it. Safety is also a nice perk. Safe food, safe air, safe streets make getting to the end of the day a bit easier. These are the issues that Chinese politicians would have to face if they had elections. But at least they aren't fighting over which part of China is the "real China".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home