Saturday, November 29, 2008

Where's the Old Bond?


We went to see the new British-franchise James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace, today at the UME Theatre at Xintiandi and while the movie is first rate and action-packed much of it troubled me. Most of all was the often senseless violence perpetrated by the Bond character and the anti-American tone of the movie. I prefer the old Bonds, the sophisticated spy that killed only when necessary. This new Bond is just a street smart killer that knows how to drive.

I was particularly irritated by the negative portrayal of Americans as unprincipled jerks interested only in what's good for corporations. Sure, we've done some things in recent years that I'm not proud of and that feed this sort of negative view of the US but this movie will outlive our over-reaction to 911 and our subsequent move back to principled behavior. I hated seeing my country portrayed this way to a Chinese audience - maybe that's why the Chinese authorities allowed this movie to be one of the few they let in. Anyway, no more Bond for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It should come as no surprise to find that movies are usually anti-american. As far back as the 50's the movies have made the government and/or the military the bad guy. Hollywood is the most anti-american place in the world.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm I think reason Bond is so violent is because this is a reboot, and that Bond is still "new" he needs to find his barings. To be honest I prefer this Bond because he is still inexperienced and he has to go through more obsticles to get to where he wants.

In the earlier Bond films, two punches here one gun shot there and they are done but in these films it looks like he can actually die (or at least get severly injured). Kinda like how the Jedi's were just frantically swinging their lightsabers in Episode I-III compared to whatever it was in Episode IV-VI haha

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home