Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Take me to the Crowne Plaza(s)

When I arrived in Hangzhou one late night last week I was tired and ready to get to my hotel for a rest. I hopped into a taxi and asked to be taken to the Crowne Plaza Hotel. When the taxi pulled up to the hotel I didn't take a close look until after I got out of the car and turned to go in. It was then that I noticed that the entrance and lobby were oddly dark. The doorman was lurking in the shadows and as I approached him I could see that he appeared to be dressed in a stained bandmajor's uniform. His eyelids could manage only a half salute. As I asked him in Chinese if this was the Crowne Plaza I could see the "Crown Plaza" name and logo over his shoulder but he could not or would not answer me. This didn't look like any Crowne Plaza I'd ever seen and it suddenly dawned on me that I had been dropped off at a fake Crowne Plaza.

I got back in another cab and was promptly taken to another fake Crowne Plaza. It wasn't until my third try that a taxi driver took me to the real thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Andre Chong said...

Hi,

I read your posting on being taken to a fake Crowne Plaza in Hangzhou with great interest. I work for InterContinental Hotels Group, which Crowne Plaza is part of. Could you let me know more about this fake Crowne Plaza you visited?

Regards,
Andre Chong
Brand Director, IHG

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home