Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Blinding Suns and Rebates

After weeks of off and on rain Peavine is enjoying perfect weather this week with temperatures around 70 degrees and clear skies. But after the time change last weekend it gets dark before I can get home around 6 pm. The downside of having pollution-free skies is the bright sun on the horizon in late afternoon. Driving to the west is blinding and no doubt is contributing to the increase in car accidents I've seen lately. Of course, testosterone (both men AND women) probably contributes more than the blinding sun. Although the pace of life is slower (just right) here than in Shanghai it seems that many Peavinians drive as if they had something extremely important to attend to.

On the expressways I drive right at the speed limit and stay in the slow lane because everyone is passing me like I was standing still. And even with four lanes to play with there's always some fool with a pickup truck riding my rear bumper. And almost everyday our way is impeded by traffic jams caused by the accidents these jerks cause. Too bad so many innocent people are killed by these people trying to save a minute or find a release for their aggression. The problem is made worse because most Peavinians are driving large trucks, SUVs or cars. Mass and velocity and stupidity are dangerous.

I keep getting unpleasant surprises about Japanese. The verb conjugations were bad enough but when I found out they even conjugate their adjectives I thought that was just too much. Now, today, I find out they have incredibly complex rules on conjugating intransitive and transitive verbs. Whether or not the door was closed by a person or by itself completely changes the verb. Argh!

I received a nice little postcard today from Verizon informing me they weren't going to honor my rebate because the postmark date was "invalid". I didn't buy their *&^%^$ phone because of the rebate but I should have known it was a waste of a good stamp to try to take advantage of a rebate offer from a phone company. Last week I found that the cable TV company had been charging me for two phone lines instead of the one I ordered. It took a couple of hours of my time to sort out that deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home