Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Elections in Tokyo

Tokyo has a governor instead of a mayor and there were elections this last weekend. I must admit that I was barely aware of the election except for the public billboards that were erected in each neighborhood with numbered spaces for the candidates to place their campaign posters. Each numbered space is the same size so each candidate got equal space. I'm not sure if they have to pay for the space but since the billboards were exactly the same throughout the city it seems to be regulated by the government. I didn't see any billboards or advertising on television. I only saw one of the usual campaign sound trucks that the politicians park at busy intersections and scream speeches over super-powered bullhorns. I understand that because of the recent disaster that most of the candidates thought it would be inappropriate to carry on in the regular way.

The winner of the Governorship was Shintaro Ishihara, the same guy that has held the office since 1999. He is, to say the least, a colorful character that has garnered a lot of international attention over the years for the often controversial things he sometimes says. He is a far-right politician known for his nationalism and anti-foreigner statements. I was rooting for the young guy with the pointy hair just because he has pointy hair.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I will tell the sign board about how they do the campaign signs. I like that idea.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home