Friday, March 10, 2006

Grousing Dragon, Hidden Panther

There are two groups of very senior senior citizens (AARP+) that gather on the sidewalk in front of my office building early each morning to do tai chi and to dance with each other in slow rhythmic circles. One group occupies the street corner and dances with red fans. The other group stays about 30 feet away and dances with gold fans. The two groups eye each other suspiciously as if they were ready to rumble at the slightest provocation. The tension between the reds and the whites is palpable. I thought the competition was over technique but today I noticed that women outnumber the men in the groups by about 10 to 1. Is competition over this scarce resource the origin of the red/gold schism?

Momlls wants to know how my tai chi is coming along. Well, I wouldn't say I was proficient. During class this week I fell over and toppled the lady next to me. I call the move the "Hidden Panther" because the victim never sees you coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home