Saturday, July 15, 2006

July Snow

It snowed in Shanghai yesterday. It barely hit the warm Earth but there were a few minutes of tiny snowflakes moving from side to side on the wind outside my 6th floor patio at work. A couple of Chinese colleagues that were equally dumbstruck as we watched the phenomenon said that there was a saying in Chinese that snow in July means someone will be put to death. Oh that's a nice proverb I thought. But as common as the death penalty is in China it may be true. Just to be safe however, I was extra careful the rest of the day not to jaywalk.

No doubt the strange weather was due to a typhoon that struck south of Shanghai in Fujian Province. The temperature fell and the wind picked up but it was manageable. Typhoons do hit Shanghai but I have yet to see a direct hit on the city since I moved here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering how little regard for pedestrians there is in Shanghai, you don't need to jaywalk to get hit. I never saw them drive on the sidewalk, but that is about the only place you are relatively safe. Do they jaydrive?

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home