Wednesday, November 25, 2009

David Sedaris

A few weeks ago I went to see David Sedaris give a reading / presentation downtown. It was a benefit for the local NPR station. I brought along a new copy of "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" in case there was an opportunity for an autograph. I've been a fan of Sedaris since I first heard him on "This American Life" and read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" - a very funny book about his experience of living in France and North Carolina where he grew up.

Outside of the theatre the nutty ultra-religious family from Wichita was there to hurl insults at gays like Sedaris. But their pathetic display only momentarily distracted from the event. Sedaris was his usual low key, self-deprecating wit and offered interesting observations on life in both the U.S. and France. He had some nice things to say about the downtown YMCA that he had used earlier in the day.

After the event he signed books for over two hours and took time to talk with each person at length - asking all the questions and showing a genuine interest in each individual. Since he has been living part-time in Japan lately we talked about Japan, learning Japanese, my job and my glasses. I've never seen a famous author spend so much time with each autograph seeker and so visibly enjoy it. As I left the theatre the streets were nearly empty and the protesters were gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home