Monday, July 26, 2010

Why Business is Bad

On the cable news and in the newspapers we read that business is suffering and many Americans are unemployed. I believe it - but if you went by how businesses are actually doing business day by day you'd have to wonder if things are that bad. Let me give you an example. I've been trying to get my driveway repaired for over a month now. There are only two listings in my city's phone book for driveway repair companies. If you call one they'll tell you that don't have time to help you. "We've got all the business we can handle," they tell me. The other company repeatedly promises to call back but never does. If I was looking to go into business right now I know what I would do.

Everywhere I look small businesses are extending poor service to potential customers. Contractors that hand out cards with email addresses and phone numbers that don't work. Small shops that don't post their hours and are closed on the weekend when you have time to shop. Shops that take a month longer than promised to repair your lawnmower and tell the customer not to call - they'll call you when they get around to fixing your mower. Are these the same people that complain about the economy and it's effect on their business?

Is it just me or do you ever get the feeling you could run most businesses better than their current owners do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home